Introduction to the recipe
India is a country whose consumption of rice, not to mention of spices, is among the highest in the world. In keeping with Indian tradition, these arancine, made using basmati rice, are stuffed with delicious chicken butter masala, a creamy and aromatic dish. These arancine bring together in a single recipe the best of Italian and Indian culinary traditions.
From the world
Ingredients for about 12 arancini
- 500 gr of basmati rice
- 1 liter of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric
- 10 grams of salt
- 60 grams of butter
- 2 tablespoons of rice starch
For the finish:
- 100 gr of flour
- 180 ml of water
- 2 eggs
- 150 gr of bread crumbs
For the marinade:
300 gr of chicken breast
half a spoon of spicy
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of ginger powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of white yogurt
half a spoon of garam masala (Indian spice blend)
1 tablespoon of turmeric
For the filling:
2 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter) or butter
3 medium onions
half a spoon of garam masala
half a spoon of spicy paprika
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
half a spoon of sugar
half a teaspoon of ginger powder
1 clove of garlic
1 bay leaf
3 cardamom beans
1 cinnamon stick
3 tablespoons of fresh cream
Preparation of rice and filling
The day before
- The evening before you plan to make your arancine, slice the chicken breast into thin strips and place it in a bowl with a crushed clove of garlic, 1 tsp. of ground ginger, 1 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tbsp. of paprika, 1/2 tbsp. of garam masala, 1 tbsp. of turmeric and 2 tbsp. of plain yoghurt.
- Cover and let marinade in the refrigerator overnight
How to prepare the rice:
- In a saucepan, put the broth, the butter, the saffron and the salt
- When the stock is boiling, add the rice and mix well
- Cover and cook over low heat until the rice absorbs all the broth and is cooked but al dente
- When cooked, stir, pour the rice on a cold surface and spread evenly to allow rapid cooling
- When the rice is cool down, it is ready to prepare the arancini
It is important to let the rice dry well during cooking. It should not be too hot or too wet, or it could stick to the mold.
For more informations about rice, Click here.
- Cut the onion into thin slices and dice the tomatoes
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a pan, then add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add salt and the tomatoes
- Add the paprika, garam masala, coriander, sugar and cashews and let it all cook until the tomatoes fall apart
- Remove from the heat and blend in a food processor or blender with 200 ml of water and 3 tbsp. of cream
- Heat 1 tbsp. of ghee in a pan, add the crushed garlic, a bay leaf, 3 whole cardamom pods and the ginger. Let the ingredients sauté for 2 minutes until they begin to brown
- Add the marinaded chicken and cook over medium heat until it is well browned
- Add the sauce and cook for another 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow it to cool
How to shape the arancini
How to frying the arancini
The finishing touch
Put the arancini in the batter and in the bread crumbs as follows:
- In a bowl, place the flour
- Add the egg and water and beat well with whips
- When the batter is smooth and dense, pass the arancini
- Immediately after having passed them in the batter, pass the arancini in bread crumbs
- Fry in plenty of oil until golden brown, to ensure your arancini fry up perfectly, use one of the following oils: peanut oil, olive oil, or palm oil.
- Heat the oil to the ideal temperature, 190°C, either in a frying pan or by setting the temperature on your deep fryer.
- If using a pan, you can make sure that the oil has reached the proper temperature by dropping in a bread crumb. If it sizzles, then the oil is ready.
- Immerse the arancini gently in the oil, only a few at a time, so as to prevent the temperature of the oil from falling too low.
- When they are done, place the arancini on absorbent paper, then serve.
- Serve the arancini with sauce on the side.
Enjoy your arancini!
You can add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to give these arancini the classic “red centre”.
Those who love creamy fillings can make the centre of this arancino richer with a few tablespoons of béchamel sauce.
What do you think of the recipe? Send us the photos!
- Arancinotto Staff