Recipe - Arancini Messinesi (from Messina)
Introduction to the recipe
Like all the traditional recipes of our collection, we limit ourselves to be as close as possible to tradition.
What does it mean? If you are from Messina and you have advice to give us, it will be welcomed with pleasure. The goal is to improve the recipe, so that it can be a reference point for everyone.
Here is the complete recipe!
Ingredients for about 12 arancini
- 500 grams of rice ("Roma" and "Originario" rices, mixed in equal doses)
- 1.1 liter of vegetable stock
- 2 bags of saffron
- 10 grams of salt
- 60-100 grams of butter
For the finish:
- 100 gr of flour
- 180 ml of water
- 2 eggs
- 150 gr of bread crumbs
For the filling:
- 100 grams of pork cheek
100 gr of minced pork
100 gr of ground beef
- ½ onion
- 100 gr of peas
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- half a glass of white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 150 gr of mortadella (small squares)
Preparation of rice and filling
How to prepare the rice:
- In a saucepan, put the broth, the butter, the saffron and the salt
- When the stock is boiling, add the rice and mix well
- Cover and cook over low heat until the rice absorbs all the broth and is cooked but al dente
- When cooked, stir, pour the rice on a cold surface and spread evenly to allow rapid cooling
- When the rice is cool down, it is ready to prepare the arancini
It is important to let the rice dry well during cooking. It should not be too hot or too wet, or it could stick to the mold.
For more informations about rice, Click here.
- Finely chop the onion and brown it with a little oil
- Add the minced pork, veal and the bacon previously diced
- Add the peas and blend with the wine
- After dissolving the concentrate in a glass of water, add it to the meat, add the bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and season with a pinch of nutmeg
- Cook over low heat until the sauce will not be reduced and in half cooking add the mortadella
- Turn off the heat and let it cool. You can also prepare the sauce the day before
Also prepare some cubes of Caciocavallo, as it will be necessary to alternate ragout and cheese during the shaping of the arancino to fill it with seasoning.
How to shape the arancini
How to frying the arancini
The finishing touch
Put the arancini in the batter and in the bread crumbs as follows:
- In a bowl, place the flour
- Add the egg and water and beat well with whips
- When the batter is smooth and dense, pass the arancini
- Immediately after having passed them in the batter, pass the arancini in bread crumbs
- Fry in plenty of oil until golden brown, to ensure your arancini fry up perfectly, use one of the following oils: peanut oil, olive oil, or palm oil.
- Heat the oil to the ideal temperature, 190°C, either in a frying pan or by setting the temperature on your deep fryer.
- If using a pan, you can make sure that the oil has reached the proper temperature by dropping in a bread crumb. If it sizzles, then the oil is ready.
- Immerse the arancini gently in the oil, only a few at a time, so as to prevent the temperature of the oil from falling too low.
- When they are done, place the arancini on absorbent paper, then serve.
- Serve the arancini with sauce on the side.
Enjoy your arancini!
You can replace the mortadella with cooked ham.
To make your sauce creamier and sweeter, substitute the tomato paste with about 300 ml of cherry-tomato purée.
What do you think of the recipe? Send us the photos!
- Tags: Carne Gratuite Traditional Recipes
- Arancinotto Staff