Recipe - Arancini with meat from Catania
Introduction to the recipe
This recipe was written according to the advice of our customers and followers of the Arancinotto facebook page.
Our goal is to collect all the recipes for arancini and arancine typical of the various cities of Sicily. For this reason we would like to be as faithful as possible to tradition, so if you are from Catania and you want to propose a change, contact us!
This page will change according to your advice (also about the translation)!
Ingredients for about 12 arancini (160 grams)
For the rice:
- 500 g of rice (Risotto Scotti for arancini is the best)
- 1 nut of butter
- 2 sachets of saffron
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- 30 g of Grated Pecorino
For the finish:
- About 60 ml of water
- 60 g of flour
- 1 egg (optional)
- 150 g of bread crumbs
- 2 liters of Peanut seed oil
For the filling:
- 500 g of calf in small pieces (it's fine too beef )
- 3 tablespoons of concentrate of tomato
- 1 carrot
- half onion
- 1 celery
- 100 g of peas
- 100 g of cheese (also the parmesan it can be fine)
- Half a glass of Red wine
- salt and black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
Preparation of rice and filling
Prepare the rice:
Put the ingredients (all those in the "rice" section, except the pecorino) in a large pot, possibly non-stick, all together
The egg is not recommended, as it makes the rice too "sticky"
- When it starts to boil add the rice , mix a first time and wait for it to boil again, stir and lower the heat without stirring anymore, until the rice has absorbed all the water
- Add the grated pecorino (also the Parmesan is fine) and mix
- Spill the contents of the pan in a pan or large container to make it cool
It is important to let the rice dry well during cooking. It should not be too hot or too wet, or it could stick to the mold.
For more information on rice, Click here.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot and celery and fry in a little oil. Go on a low heat
Add the meat. This is one of the main features of this recipe. Meat (calf and/or beef), in fact, must be cut to pieces relatively large (smaller than the stew). Someone puts a single piece of meat inside the arancino.
Leave to brown for a few minutes
- Add also i peas and mix well
- Sfumare with the wine red
- When the meat is cooked add the tomato (or tomato paste diluted with water)
- Finally adjust by salt is pepper and cook over a low heat for about an hour (in a covered pot). Mix from time to time.
- When the sauce has cooled put the cheese cut into cubes
Shape the arancino
The finishing touch
Put the arancini in the batter and in the bread crumbs as follows:
- In a bowl, place the flour
- Add the egg and water and beat well with whips
- When the batter is smooth and dense, pass the arancini
- Immediately after having passed them in the batter, pass the arancini in bread crumbs
- Fry in plenty of oil until golden brown, to ensure your arancini fry up perfectly, use one of the following oils: peanut oil, olive oil, or palm oil.
- Heat the oil to the ideal temperature, 190°C, either in a frying pan or by setting the temperature on your deep fryer.
- If using a pan, you can make sure that the oil has reached the proper temperature by dropping in a bread crumb. If it sizzles, then the oil is ready.
- Immerse the arancini gently in the oil, only a few at a time, so as to prevent the temperature of the oil from falling too low.
- When they are done, place the arancini on absorbent paper, then serve.
- Serve the arancini with sauce on the side.
Enjoy your meal!
- Arancinotto Staff